Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have numerous clinical breakthroughs and brand-new strategies emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the opportunity to lower or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless method to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help guarantee that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by expensive advertisements about a particular laser center. Pick the physician, not the laser center. Learn who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Choose a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not know can hurt you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your physician won't inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a somewhat various result. The see here now very best surgeon on the planet cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each client. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go in other places. You're not buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of countless people all over the world.